Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Today I See A Tree

Today I see a tree. It’s standing in front of my window. Its leaves wave hello to the Maker of the dawning sky and the gentle morning breeze. It’s been standing there for longer than I know. It’s never moved. I’ve never seen it in the backyard or over at the neighbors’. It’s never even tried to come into the house or sneak into our car in an attempt to discover new things or places. It’s always just stood there…content.

It’s not that this little birch has never changed. No, in fact it clearly has a longing to be more. Occasionally, when I stop, I notice it reaching. Not straining, as if it were trying to become a great oak or anything, it looks more like it just wants to be all that its Maker made it to be.

It has more leaves this year than I have ever seen. Its roots are longer and seem to have deepened and tightened their grip, drinking in all its Maker provides. Its reach is at its highest point yet. And quietly, ever so quietly, it’s trying to shed another set of old clothes.

And God says, “Dan, that’s all I’m asking for.”

Today I see a tree. God showed me.

Psalm 1

No comments: