Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Simple Struggle

How do I become the man of God I want to be? How do I live each day as I long to live, escaping the temptations, attaining the righteousness both God and I want for me? I don’t understand why I fail. Do I not love enough? Is my faith too weak?

Marrying our spiritual life with our “every-day” is a battle. There is no question about it. The apostles, Peter, Paul, John, and all the others, they struggled the same way. Just read Romans 7! These guys wrote with empathy, not condescension. Paul even writes,
Not that I’ve already obtained this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. (Phil. 3:12)

First, what beautiful, comforting words! Not so much the confession, but the proclamation “that Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Paul means that not just for himself, but for you and me, too! He’s got us! Jesus has taken hold! What a wonderful thought!

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (1 John 3:1a)

Second, listen to these words of the Psalmist…

The unfolding of your words gives light;

it gives understanding to the simple.

I open my mouth and pant,

longing for your commands.

Turn to me and have mercy on me,

as you always do to those who love your name.

Direct my footsteps according to your word;

let no sin rule over me.

Redeem me from the oppression of men,

that I may obey your precepts.

Make your face shine upon your servant

and teach me your decrees.

Streams of tears flow from my eyes,

for your law is not obeyed.

(from Psalm 119:130-136)

Look at the bold words. On whom are you relying?

God has tremendously high expectations for us:

Be perfect…as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matt. 5:48)

”...be holy, because I am holy. (Lev. 11:44; and echoed in 1 Peter 1:16)

But, God never planned for us to do anything alone. Our job is to seek Him and His word. He means for the rest to come out of the overflow of our time with Him. That’s it! That’s the secret! It is that simple.

The truth is, you know this, and so do I – and so does Satan.

Father, give us understanding of the simple. Please help us. And let us find the joy you’ve prepared for us there.

No comments: