Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spiritual Growth

If there is any one barometer of spiritual growth, it may be the way we approach and resolve conflict. The fruit of the Spirit identified in Galatians 5:22ff are identified as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. Look at how many of those Spirit-inspired traits are useful - and evident - when dealing with conflict!

Conflict, however, is often where our sinful nature overwhelms us. The acts of the sinful natured are also identified in Galatians 5, and they included hatred, discord, fits of rage, jealousy, selfish ambition and dissension.

I tend to have little trouble with patience, kindness and self-control if everyone is getting along. On the other hand, if conflict arises, it is naturally much more difficult to live those traits. "Naturally" because my nature wants to take over and control my response. This, I think, is exactly how God demonstrates to us where we are on the road of spiritual growth.

I am convinced that God uses conflict to allow me to check my progress on the road to becoming more and more like the Christ as Paul discusses in Philippians 2. In fact, I think that the awareness of my failures during conflict are a sure sign of the convicting work of the Spirit.

The question is, do I seek forgiveness for my failures and make changes in my actions in future conflict - allowing the Spirit to produce fruit in my life - or do I make excuses and claim "this is just the way I am?"

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am truly enjoying each posting! Thanks- these are a blessing!

Anonymous said...

I have been struggling with some conflicts lately. Until I read the next to the last paragraph in your blog, I was worried that my being aware of my shortcomings in the conflicts was coming from another source other than the Holy Spirit. Thanks so much for helping me see it's the comforting Holy Spirit I want to listen to at all times.